Monday 14 March 2011

Week 4 - Put it into Gear

Hello again!  It is so good to see you.  You’re looking excellent.  Now that I have kissed your arse hopefully you will come back.  Week 4 is finito and unfortunately the weeks seem to be getting faster!  I still manage to get my assignments done on the same day as they are given but I have a feeling that that will change next week when we start our car in Modeling 100.  Alright, on to what you have all been waiting for…………….all my wonderful work from this past week!  I’m so modest.
Modeling 100 brought us a wonderful technique using instances to help us create the rims we will use with our vehicles.  With a little math involved we were able to create one spoke of our rim and rotate it around equally to create the full thing.  We sub-divided our rims 3 times to smooth them out.  After the rim we needed to create the tire tread.  Another cool technique was used for this.  We created one small portion of the tread and then duplicated it.  After the merge we used the bend tool to wrap the tread around and merge the edges.  Tire and Rim done!  Check it out.  I used a pre-set shader to make the second one blacked out.  It’s how I roll!


In Classical Animation 100 we went over the pencil tests of our sacks and continued to work on our final product.  I would like to think I am finished but I don’t think that’s the case.  Not as refined as it should be I think but I have to wait to see what Brett thinks when we have class again next week.  We are starting work in Flash too so hopefully the old knowledge I have of flash comes back quick.

3D Animation had us finish up our Robot at the Bar animation.  I went with something simple but the render out would have been too big of a file so you get a screenshot of my classy robot.  We had to use constraints to pin the hand to the bar and then the glass to the hand.  Just had to turn the constraint off and key frame it so he could put the glass back down.

YES!  We have finally begun to learn the most fun part of all 3D!  Laying out UVs!  I know it is hard to judge sarcasm through text but I can promise you, that was sarcasm.  In XSI this week we learned how to flatten out our models, in a way, to prepare them for textures.  If I could get someone to lay out my UVs for every project I would pay them handsomely in high-fives and encouragement.  I am a student after all.  Laying out UVs usually slows down my entire workflow.  Hopefully I can learn some new tricks to speed it all up because what I have been doing for the past 3 years hasn’t got much faster.  Our first UV task was to skin the man below.  Nothing like skinning a man and spreading him out to paint all over him!

Thursday started off with Scott and Production 100.  We went over some different renderers, popular game engines and rendering tools such as Global Illumination, Final Gathering and Environment Rendering.  I have used Final Gathering before but have not touched on the other two.  Interesting tools but I find with stuff like this, it would be better to just be told which is best and to stick with it but each are used at certain times.  We also went over volumes such as fog.  I haven’t used volumes much but it was good to see what kind of results you can get.  No assignments, just straight up knowledge!
In our DIM 100 class we went over our lit scenes and started our texturing journey.  We got a wonderful lesson on how to get certain effects from certain brushes to make our textures stand out.  We had the challenge of texturing a metal barrel.  I’ve done a lot of texturing so it was nice to see confirmation that what I have been doing is how it’s actually done.  Here is my finished lit scene and my barrel texture so far.  I will be finishing it tomorrow.


Last up for the week was our Friday morning Life Drawing class.  We had a nude, female model and we did some more gesture drawings as well as some more torso drawings.  We also did a few negative-space drawing which it how I basically draw.  I usually estimate the length of a line and then use it to measure where other lines connect and cross.  My drawings all start as outlines of what I am drawing and then I fill it all in, so these were easier for me.  We had lots of time as well so there was no pressure to produce so to speak.  Our homework is to draw five hand poses and then five more but with some creative changes.  Let’s hope I am creative enough!
So that was the week!  Quick but productive.  I was able to go see Rango with some classmates on Saturday and took the seabus as well as the skytrain!  Crazy sci-fi modes of transportation.  It was like I was on a different planet.  The seabus was pretty cool as I am very used to boating, but not on a boat that can carry 200 people, or something close to that.  The skytrain made me a bit uneasy with all the deceleration and acceleration while the tunnel walls flew by me but I can handle it.  Public transit isn’t so bad I guess.  Not sure about city buses yet though.  Oh, I also got to sample the tiki-style bar that’s attached to the school for the birthday of one of the girls in the second semester class.  A bit expensive and the drinks weren’t the manliest I’ve seen but it was still good.
So, Vancouver has this wonderful mode of transportation called the Seabus!  Put in on the board!  Vancouver 4, Saskatchewan 0.
Damn that was long.  if you are like me you probably read that and went, "damn that was long!"  Please come back, don't you remember how excellent I said you looked.  Yeah, you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment