Sunday 20 March 2011

Week 5 - Burn Rubber

I see you have come back for more of my shameless compliments.  Well don’t hold your breath you wonderful human being because I am not going to indulge your ego any longer!  Alrighty, now pan your beautiful eyes from left to right to read how week 5 went!  Week 5, where has the time gone?  It was a light work week mainly because our car project took over, so technically it wasn’t that light.
This week in Modeling 100 we received a lesson in car modeling.  Joe drove his technique into our brains and we took off!  From 0 to 60 in……….well I am not done yet so I will have to get back to you on that one but I do have some sweet screens of the car I will probably never own.  Much too impractical for my taste.  The car has caused me a few frustrations but I enjoy being struck by a challenge.  It was nice to put my mind in problem solving mode to figure out how best to approach the problems.  Check out my wheels!

My sack is done!  You all want to seem my sack, my classically drawn sack in all its glory?  It’s a nice sack.  You can wait all your life to see a better one but you will always think back to my wondrous sack.  Ok, well it’s missing the boxes but I will get them in there.  Enjoy my sack!

Do you like to walk?  I walk to and from school every day so it has grown on me, plus it’s free.  I call that student walking.  Walking is something you do and see every day.  It’s different from person to person but there is always one thing about walking that will stay consistent.  It’s a pain in the arse to make a 3D model walk realistically.  Now I haven’t done much animation so that plays a big factor but man, I certainly have to work hard to do it right.  I took a little screenshot of my fancy walkin’ bot for your enjoyment.

In Production 100 this week we explored camera movements.  We were tasked with framing up a few different shots in a pre-made scene.  You want a proper close-up?  I got yah!
My barrel for DIM 100 has been bumped and speculared and framed in a lovely production sheet.  BASK IN ITS GLORY!

Last for the week was Life Drawing.  We focused on faces.  Started with a base and went from there.  I haven’t done much drawing of faces so this didn’t start real well but I was able to use the whole class to just focus on getting the base as right as possible.
Done!  This week was a fun week in general.  On Thursday night a group of us from all semesters went and had some green beer at a place called Taylors Crossing.  Got to try out the city bus!  Not a huge fan but when the bus pulled up for pickup at the Quay the driver left the bus while we all got on.  I was encouraged not to bother with paying so I got a free bus ride!  Hopefully I don’t get arrested cause if so I will bring everyone else on that bus down with me.  Friday was a big day for the school as a whole.  It was the TTTC Friday Challenge!  Teams of 6 were formed and were pitted against each other in a fight to survive.  We were sent out into the mountains and the team that came back alive were victorious!  I only had to push a few people off a cliff so it wasn’t a really difficult win.  I hope you have realized that I was making that up and if not you can continue to believe that I did what I needed to do.  Our real challenges were as follows:
RC Car Balloon Race – Each team picked 2 drivers and a mini tournament commenced where each vehicle was equipped with a needle and had to pop all of the other teams balloons.  Thanks to our wicked drivers for coming out on top!
Pizza Eating Contest – Do I really need to describe this one?  Unfortunately we lost this challenge but it was fun to watch our teammate struggle with shoving pizza in his mouth.
Blind Dressing – 1 member of our team had to undress another member of our team while blindfolded.  And no, they didn’t undress from their actual clothes, they put on additional clothes for this challenge.  We got second place in this event.
Orange Leggings – I participated in this event.  An orange is placed in a pair of leggings and then tied around my waist.  I needed to swing the orange between my legs to knock a ball around the room and then back to the finish.  Victory was mine!
Balloon Juggle – Pretty self-explanatory.  2 players at a time needed to see who could keep 2 balloons in the air the longest.  We placed second in this challenge.
In the end Team Success, that was us, came out on top as champions!  I want to thank all the members of Team Success for their dedication and kick-assery.  We are the champions!  On Friday we were also graced with the presence of Bryan Gillingham who is a Lead Animator who has worked at Blizzard on World of Warcraft.  He gave us a wonderful first-hand look at the gaming industry and then answered a ton of questions.  He also showed us some of his work on a Hulk game as well as a Star Wars game and of course, World of Warcraft.  A really nice guy who had some great advice.  Thanks Bryan for taking the time!
So that was week 5!  A very fun week.  I want to thank Think Tank for giving us all a break by hosting a Friday Challenge and inviting Bryan in to talk to us.  Week 6 is Spring Break!  No classes this week and the school is open only from 8:30am – 5:00pm.  All time to work on my car!  So, Vancouver has a crap load of game companies and Saskatchewan has none.  Van 5, Sask 0.  Sorry mom! lol

1 comment:

  1. Hey Coug,
    Just wanted to let you know that I'm following your blog. I think because of all the compliments you've been giving me :) You certainly have a nice sack! One of the nicest I've seen, course I haven't seen many. Glad to hear it's going well. Your work looks great (except for the head of your brontosaurus).
    Enjoy your slack week!
    Unc

    ReplyDelete